Introducing Day 13 of our Xmas Guest Series: Rachel
1. Introduce yourself, tell us about you, what you do, why did you start blogging? Shalom, all. My name is Rachel, I’m 23 years old and recently graduated with my Master’s degree in conservation. I did a year abroad in my undergraduate degree and loved it so much I came back to the University of Sussex/ Brighton to do my Master’s degree. By the time you read this, I will be back home (Tucson, Arizona) for the holidays and to figure out my next step. I started blogging to document my year abroad and travels/ thoughts since.
2. How do you spend Xmas day? Historically, opening presents with my immediate family (mom, dad, two brothers and dog), playing with such new toys and having dinner with our neighbors before packing to go to California the next day to see our extended family. You can read all about it in my Blogmas post from last year here. But last year was special: I actually took a holiday over Christmas: a scuba diving adventure in the Red Sea based out of Hurghada, Egypt! You can read all about it here.
3. Best money saving tip for Xmas? As a full-time student, I was never in a position to splash out on Christmas gifts. Heck, with student loans, I’m still not. Instead, I would make my gifts (paintings, scarves, etc.), get something simple but thoughtful (a framed picture of me and the receiver), or when all else fails, you can never go wrong with chocolate and/or alcohol.
4. What present would you love to receive if money was no object? Probably top-of-the-line scuba gear! Wetsuit, BCD, dive computer, dive bag… the whole set-up.
5. Breakfast on Xmas morning usually consists of? Leftovers from out Christmas Eve party, so anything from cookies to sausage balls.
6. Do you do anything special on Xmas Eve to celebrate? My family throws an open house party, but me and my friends will usually hole up in my room and turn on a Christmas movie.
7. Favourite Xmas song and why? I’m not sure if I have one… does Dick In a Box from SNL count?
8. Favourite festive film? My all-time favorite would be Christmas Vacation, but I made a list of honorable mentions in this post.
9. Who do you spend Xmas with? My immediate family, usually. But on the LiveAboard, I spent it with 20+ strangers, but strangely, it wasn’t as lonely as I’d expect it as there were a lot of other lone travelers as well and the staff made us a massive Christmas dinner and put up decorations.
10. What does Christmas mean to you? Do you think we have lost the original meaning of Christmas? I’m not sure, I wish I could say something deep and profound, but to me it’s just about being festive and showing an extra bit of love to those around us, whether we’re at home or otherwise. While I truly believe 90% of humans are good and Christmas is a mostly wholesome time of year, these Black Friday deals are definitely taking it too far. If by “the original meaning of Christmas” you mean the Roman pagan holiday honoring the sun god Saturn, then yes, Christians celebrating the birth of Christ in late December even though nobody actually knows when he was born to nudge out pagan holidays does mean we have lost the original meaning of the holiday